Sex, Sex, whoa the sex… | The Divas Pen

BN-sex-scene-blair-and-nate-3725568-1280-720

It’s three in the morning and I’m writing a sex scene. A long scene between Marietta and Lorenzo from the Battaglia series that has worn me out. It got me to thinking of the changes in sex scenes in romance novels. I grew up on the flowery prose, the scenes that were more implied than stated. My imagination would go wild. I’d walk away with even more love for the characters. Now if the scene calls for sex in my books I go all the way in, descriptive writing and hard edged language. When did it change?

So my question to the readers is simple. Do you think the sex in romance now is too explicit. Do you skip over the protracted scene and treasure the brief interlude? What kind of sex scene in a book best suits you?

18 comments to “Sex, Sex, whoa the sex…”

1. Profile photo of JovanBleu26
    JovanBleu26
    · September 21st, 2013 at 3:59 pm · Link

Funny you should ask these question, I don’t think sex has become to explicit, I just think that sex is no longer this taboo subject. Everybody and their mother is having sex and its no longer what happens in the bed room stays in the bed room. I think both men and women are now more comfortable with their sexuality that its now just part of the norm. Do I tend to skip over sex scenes not really but sometimes I do feel like I’m blushing when reading them. I think if a sex scene is called for its ok but I have read books were its sex..sex..and more sex, which just gets redundant when I need more details on the characters rather than their sex life. What kind of sex scene best suits me?? Hmm!!! I think the sex scene best suits me is when it’s called for. When both characters are about to explode at the seams, when the build up has called for it. Or if I know both characters just can’t keep their hands off each other. It’s all about the details that surround the characters having sex.

2. S Lynn
    · September 21st, 2013 at 5:53 pm · Link

Sienna, I first read the Battaglia series right after I read the 3 Fifty Shades of Grey books. I really enjoyed the story, but as a woman of a different “persuasion” I couldn’t relate to Ana. Your heroines, however, are just like me, and I love reading about how they are loved by their men. Don’t change a thing. The sex is what drew me to your stories. They are explicit, yes, and thank you for that!

3. Opal Carby
    · September 21st, 2013 at 11:54 pm · Link

You are an excellent writer so the descriptive words used for your sex scenes are beautifully crafted.

Continue the good work

4. Monlat
    · September 22nd, 2013 at 12:38 am · Link

I love the descriptive love scenes, and all of the ones in your books are wonderful. Please don’t change the style!! I am a big fan of the Bataglia series and I really look forward to the next in the series. When the release is announced I will do a countdown with detailed reviews of each of the 3 books already in the series leading up to it’s release! I feature IR books on my site and you are one of my favorites!

5. Mary
    · September 22nd, 2013 at 2:20 am · Link

If the couple has chemistry and a tangible connection then I enjoy reading the sex scene, no matter how explicit. However, if it gets to the point where the characters are having sex every five pages, then it gets to be redundant and I start skimming. Having said that, I LOVED the chemistry between Lorenzo and Marietta so please keep the sex scenes coming. I love them as a couple. ☺

6. Deborah
    · September 24th, 2013 at 2:36 am · Link

No, I don’t think there is too much sex, based on the situation whether it calls for hand holding, a little comforting or a full out toe curling romp, you have covered all the basis. I can understand and follow better with a story line leading to sex than sex, sex and more sex. Keep up the good work.

7. Ivy979
    · September 24th, 2013 at 6:02 pm · Link

For tenderness and intimacy, my preference is the flowery prose.

For intensity, urgency and undeniable passion, by preference is explicit.

However, I agree w/ previous poster, the sex scenes have to make sense and a natural flow to the overall story.

With that being said: keep doing what you’re doing — it works!

8. joy3
    · September 27th, 2013 at 8:18 pm · Link

I am glad you have asked this question Sienna. I have thought about the sex question quite a lot recently and I have come to the conclusion that sex scenes are important – but only up to a point. I am afraid that I get very bored with too many of them so I find myself skipping these pages in order to get back to the story. And I often find myself groaning (no pun intended!) when they come (no pun here either!) in rapid succession.

Therefore, I am in favour of the less is more technique.

Keep up the great work, and I look forward to Battaglia 4.

9. ejd
    · October 7th, 2013 at 3:11 am · Link

On chapter 24 of Bad Habits and I think this is by far your best work. I want to thank you for sharing your wonderful gift of writing with us. Thank you.

10. clarice
    · October 7th, 2013 at 5:08 pm · Link

Interesting question. As much as I enjoy sex scenes, sometimes it is a little boring. It seems that every couple has their own way of doing it. It actually becomes redundant. I wish authors could become a little more creative after the first sex scenes, especially with sequels and sagas. With that said when is the next Battaglia book coming out?

11. ejd
    · October 8th, 2013 at 5:12 am · Link

Done reading Bad Habits! How to tell if a book is gooooood? When you refuse a dinner date to stay in to read, you know the book is good. Girl , your books are messing with my social life. 🙂

12. ejd
    · October 8th, 2013 at 5:12 am · Link

13. Shelaine
    · March 14th, 2014 at 9:07 pm · Link

The sex scenes you write are perfect!! Please keep it up. You have just the right amount of sex in your books. I’m reading your Battaglia series, and these books are some of the best I’ve read in a looooooong time!

14. Kathleen
    · June 8th, 2015 at 6:52 pm · Link

Are you going to write more about the Battaglia Family?

15. Jeannie
    · August 19th, 2015 at 7:08 pm · Link

I would not say I am against sex scenes. However, I can also get bored with them very quickly if they are frequent or go on for too long. I guess I would rather read about what characters are getting up to outside the sheets rather than between them. Keep up the great writing though, Sienna!

16. jessica
    · August 28th, 2015 at 6:16 am · Link

Hi, I hope all is well. I was wondering if there are any tidbits of Battaglia news fit for release for La Dolce Vita. I hope the writing is going well.

17. I-
    · September 1st, 2015 at 10:14 pm · Link

I often ponder this question, too. I’m an avid reader and I started devouring books when I was 15, so I remember when the sex scenes were more implied than descriptive. I have to say I enjoy both styles. I don’t NEED a descriptive sex scene, to enjoy the book, as long as, the writer is a GOOD storyteller. I’m one of those reader who goes back and re-reads my novels. I date them each time I read them, and I list what I think of the book on the inside of the cover (which is why I appreciate print books, so much). I can’t tell you how often I’ll pull out one of my old Harelquins and re-read it. Heck, I’ve read LaVyrle Spencer’s; “Morning Glory” at least 15 times, and the sex scenes are implied, yet it’s one of my favorite books. Then I’ll pull out a Maureen Smith or Shara Azod (and we all know how graphic Shara can be) but I still enjoy the experience just the same, because the author took the time to tell a good story and captured me in the process. That’s what you do Sienna…you capture us in the process….that’s good storytelling!!

I think we as readers do our authors (our gifts) a great disservice when we compare them or their writing styles to other authors. I say sit and enjoy the wonderful story or ride the author is about to take you on.

I will say this, though….I do get a kick out of reading an older Brenda Jackson novel versus a recent one…yep, times have definitely changed and guess what…it’s ALL good!

18. Renae
    · September 10th, 2015 at 12:41 am · Link

I am concerned about you, the woman. I pray that God gives you lots of love, strength, encouragement, and support. You will always have my faith and loyalty. Take care!